Sunday, January 14, 2007

Job Interview

Well I finally have my first proper job interview this Thursday… in the UAE!

This is the second time I have been invited to an interview with the Higher Colleges of Technology; the last one was scheduled for 13/12/06 in Ras Al Khaimah (one of the smaller Emirates) and we just couldn’t afford for me to fly over.

This has been a little bit of a saga as originally this interview was going to be done via teleconference, as HCT are unable to set up a videoconference between Qatar and the UAE (I actually don’t know why). Then we found out that a teleconference does not replace the face-to-face or videoconference interviewing process… I guess they need to see the whites of my eyes. The problem once again was that we just didn’t have the cash available to pay for the flight upfront so this time around they have provided me with a return ticket so no reason not to go, plus they will reimburse incidentals.

The issue now has been finding out about the Exit Permit that is needed to leave Qatar. This is a continuing saga that started with me needing one, then not needing one as I am under Kerry’s sponsorship (Family Resident Visa rather than a Work Resident Visa). Now what we were told has changed again, and apparently the only dependents that require one are husbands under their wives sponsorship. At this stage the only thing we have been told is that Kerry needs to accompany me to the airport on the day of my departure… beyond that, who knows. Hopefully we will find out something a bit more detailed (or an alternative) today.

So regardless of the Exit Permit (which we will get one way or another), this Thursday I am going to Dubai for 7 hours… yet another adventure!

No comments: