Monday, September 04, 2006

First day of school.

First proper journey to school was greeted by the nice site of a camel sitting in the back of a ute… we are noticing the lack of blue heelers in these parts! Unfortunately the school uniforms size 6 upwards aren’t available yet…They’re still on the Jordanian cutting room floor (in bales!). The kids are wearing their own clothes – with most dressing in national dress – guys in thobes and doovers (not the real name – but they look like big tea towels and come in a range of colours…white or red and white!) on their heads and girls in black Abaya’s… and Ashur in shorts, T’shirts and sandals (well I did say “national” costume and he doesn’t like thongs).

Speaking of Abayas – they come in many styles actually…full cloak and some like a long, split jacket. They are really just like any clothing – and you wear a different one each day…most are extremely elaborately decorated in sequins, glass beading, embroidery and printing. They are really quite gorgeous! I am definitely going to get myself a few of these thangs. I have (at times) commented to some of my mothers’ on the beauty of their abaya’s in the hope that I’ll get one as a pressy! In fact, I hint about all sorts of things – from their abaya’s to their flashy gold! Apparently, teachers are laden with lovely REAL gifts at the end of the school year – am just getting in early with my wish list(s).

No comments: